Tuesday, February 17, 2009

And The First Stupid Award Goes To...

This goes to all the Stupids who own vehicle repair shops.

When my work van broke down I figured I would try to fix it myself. I know a little about vehicles: like hoses and spark plugs and that stick-lke doodad you use to check oil level. I once replaced a radiator and threw a block party later to celebrate. This time though, something major was broken. I am the kind that has to repeat the noises my vehicle is making to the mechanic to explain what I think is wrong with it, and this time it was making some major clamor. The engine sounded like a steel factory - one full of angry blacksmiths. I did what any prudent human would do - I called a tow company. After a confusing conversation that lasted all of two minutes in which I had to repeat every sentence at least twice (apparently I have an accent - who doesn't?) it came down to a matter of two hundred dollars between my van and the mechanic - that is the amount I would have to pay the tow company.

So, in my limited wisdom, I decided to change everything I thought could be wrong with the van. Several hours later, the van boasted new spark plugs and wires, fuel filter and some other parts whose function is still not very clear to me. (I think I replaced the cigarette lighter - or was it a fuse?) The van worked, but only well enough for me to drive it to the mechanic. It took all of two days before I got any word from the mechanics but the verdict did come, attached to another dollar figure as it always is. My problem was a fuel pump. It would cost me $365 to fix it. That was $165 for parts and $200 for labor.

I know by now you are asking "So where is the beef?" The fact that I am a novice when it comes to motors does not mean I don't know when I am being hosed. It so happens I had had a talk with a very nice guy at Autozone - those are the guys who manage to look at you with a straight face when you ask a very stupid question like "Exactly what part of my vehicle is the engine?" The nice guy had told me a fuel pump for my van cost 50 bucks and all I had to do was remove the fuel tank and fix it. It would take less than an hour with the right tools. Yeah, imagine my face when the mechanic gave me the quote. I had to pick my jaw off the floor before telling him I would fix the fuel pump myself.

For his blatant attempt at fleecing me, my not-so-friendly neighborhood mechanic earns himself the title Stupid and all the accolades that go with it.

Got any juicy Stupids story? Let the Stupid Patrol know about it.

PS: Even after changing the fuel pump, my van is still broken. I might have to visit the Stupids again.

No comments:

Post a Comment